Thursday, August 11, 2011

Mary E.M.

So apparently I’m at the age when you tip the scale and start going to more funerals than weddings.  I honestly thought I’d be older MUCH OLDER but alas I am not.  My friend’s parents are dying.  Our parents are ageing and it’s very inconvenient.  Yes I know I should be more PC and say something about how much they have loved us and took care of us yadda, yadda, yadda but frankly it is inconvenient.  I’m guessing as about as much as a hassle getting me in specialized schools was, taking me out of the hood to plays and museums was and most definitely as tiresome as taking care of my kid was.  Nonetheless…. I’m going to stand up for the sexy 40 something’s that are just getting their kids out of the house and trying to get and life and dare to utter those blasphemous words.   Quickly followed by, “Yes mother I’m on my way to your house now (AGAIN) to look at the same swatches I looked at last week because you are no longer capable of making any decisions by yourself!”  OK OK… it was just. Yes Ma I’m almost there…but you get my drift.

Anyway, this post isn’t about me cranking about something (which most will be) it’s about the life and Love of Mary E.M.  I attended my friend’s (AG) mom’s home going service this past Tuesday and it was just beautiful!!  I’m not sure if you’ve ever attended a funeral and left feeling inspired and actually touched by the person that was being celebrated but dang it that is the kind of funeral I want to have when I pass away.   I never met AG’s mom but left her service thinking I should live a life like hers.  Her parish priest described her as a woman who displayed Christ’s love to all that came into contact with her.   That she gave her love in earnest, simply and consistently that what she did was never grand or ostentatious but always true.  Be it kind, encouraging or challenging words or how her door and her table was always open to those in her community that needed it or maybe it was quiet commitment to her faith and her church.  It seemed that however you encountered her you could see the Jesus shining bright within her.  She was well remembered for her love, kindness and faithfulness. There was no talk of anything else…no awards, no huge job titles, no mention of her possessions or achievements not even her church committee offices and work.  Just the legacy of love she has left her family and those who were lucky enough to know her while she walked this earth. 

 Now I can’t imagine all that will be said about me when I pass but I have to wonder will it be that?!  Will it be that all that came in contact with me left me better or happier?  Could my pastor say that the love of Christ so shined within me that I could be made example of how to live a life worth living? 

Mary left her family two journals one full of stories of her youth and the other an account of her life.  The last page of her journal was the hope of how she wanted people to remember her and a message to her children.

I leave this post with What Mary left her children – What she left me (paraphrasing because I can’t remember it all)

·         Always try to look on the bright side

·         Life is hard but keep smiling anyway

·         You WILL get through it

I’m still unsure what will be said about me when I’m gone, I guess I’ll have to work on that! I am however,  honored to have attended her funeral and gotten a glimpse of who she was and so glad I have her daughter as a friend because the apple hasn’t fallen far from the tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment